For this assignment, you will examine the role of the nurse in caring for clients with cognitive issues. You will identify your target audience (such as staff nurses, pre-licensure nursing students, etc.) and create an orientation PowerPoint presentation (instructions below). This final assignment will reflect ability and achievement in the following areas:
· Intentional Learning, Reflection, and Clinical Judgment
· Decision Making and Evidence Based Practice
· Organization and Presentation
· Writing and APA Formatting
· Demonstrate collaborative standardization of safe practices through health promotion.
· Integrate course concepts within management of a cognitive alteration.
A nurse educator is preparing an orientation on cognitive illness and the workplace. There is a need to address the many clients with cognitive issues that seek healthcare services and how to better understand the needs. Choose a cognitive illness that you feel less knowledgeable about and address the following prompts by including two to three examples of each bullet point:
· Compare and contrast this illness with a physical illness (one that can be “seen”).
· Provide examples of the historical, socioeconomic, political, educational, and topographical aspects of this disease.
· Report the appropriate interdisciplinary interventions for high-risk health behaviors associated with this disease.
· Determine the influences of their value systems on management of this disease.
· Outline health-care practices, including acute versus preventive care; barriers to health care; the meaning of pain and the sick role; and cultural practices that can impact this disease.
· Identify cultural issues related to learning styles, autonomy, and educational preparation and any impact on disease management.
Your presentation should be 15-20 slides (not including title, objectives, and references slides) with detailed notes for each slide. Include at least two scholarly sources. Follow best practices for PowerPoint presentations related to text size, color, images, effects, wordiness, and multimedia enhancements. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment. No audio recording is required. Be sure to completely answer all the points/questions. Use clear headings that allow your professor to know which bullet you are addressing on the slides in your presentation. Support your content with citations throughout your presentation. Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for the presentation. Include a slide for your references at the end.
· Length: 15-20 slides; answers must thoroughly address the questions in a clear, concise manner. Include at least four scholarly sources.
· Title: 1 slide
· Compare and contrast illness: at least 3 slides
· Provide examples of the historical, socioeconomic, political, educational, and topographical aspects of culture: at least 2 slides
· Report interdisciplinary interventions: at least 2 slides
· Outline health care practices: at least 4 slides
· Identify learning styles/educational preparation: at least 2 slides
· References: 1 slide